Jump to Navigation

Sammlung von Newsfeeds

Carter Holt Harvey now to close Tokoroa plant

Australian timber industry news - Mi, 17/09/2025 - 03:01

Carter Holt Harvey is planning to close its plywood manufacturing plant in Tokoroa, at the cost of up to 119 full-time jobs. Source: Stuff The announcement comes after the Kinleith pulp and paper mill in Tokoroa announced the closure its paper-making operation earlier this year, with about 150 jobs lost. E tū delegate Andrew Dobbs, who has worked at Carter Holt Harvey in Tokoroa for 24 years, said staff were devastated. “It’s just really sad. We knew things were tough, but I didn’t expect them to stop manufacturing altogether. You’d say people are feeling sad and depressed – it’s not quite a closure, but there will be so few people left there, making nothing, just reprocessing imports to send to market. “Basically, imported product is just too cheap for us to compete with, that’s the guts of it. Personally, I don’t want to move out of town, but that might be the only choice we’ve got. “You already know that the pulp and paper mill has cut jobs, they’ve either moved out or are looking for jobs. Now there’s going to be a whole lot more people looking for jobs locally, but there aren’t that many jobs at present, not for that many people.” The E Tū union spokesperson for the site, Red Middlemiss, told the Waikato Times that staff and union members were informed on Monday that their jobs were on the line, and that the news came as a shock. Middlemiss said Carter Holt Harvey has already been importing plywood from Australia and a number of other countries, “and has found out that they can import it cheaper than they can make it here”. South Waikato Mayor Gary Petley told RNZ he was shocked. “This doesn’t help us one little bit,” he said. “I believe that staff were notified yesterday and were given time to go home and go over those issues with their family…” Petley told RNZ it sounded like a decision had already been made. He said Tokoroa was resilient, but help was needed from the Government. This comes as Carter Holt Harvey announced last week it will close its sawmill in Eves Valley, with the loss of 142 jobs. E tū national secretary Rachel Mackintosh said that closure was a strategic decision that ignored the human cost.

The post Carter Holt Harvey now to close Tokoroa plant appeared first on Timberbiz.

SA will lead the charge to a low-carbon fuel future

Australian timber industry news - Mi, 17/09/2025 - 02:56

South Australia’s forest industries are poised to lead the charge toward a low-carbon fuel future, welcoming today’s announcement by the Federal Government of a $1.1 billion investment package to accelerate the development of low-carbon liquid fuels. Source: Timberbiz The package will support domestic cleaner fuel production for hard-to-abate sectors such as aviation, shipping, heavy transport, construction and mining. “The South Australian Forest Products Association acknowledges the Australian Government’s recognition of forestry residues as a key feedstock that can deliver renewable and sustainable fuel alternatives,” said Mr Nathan Paine, Chief Executive Officer of SAFPA. “Wood residues such as limbs and needles are often underutilised in the forestry sector. This investment represents a massive opportunity to convert those residues into renewable, sustainable alternative fuels that can power industries that are otherwise difficult to decarbonise.” At scale, forestry residue can be transformed into powerful low-emission fuels such as bio-methanol and Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) – helping to decarbonise international air transport and shipping, both identified as priority industries in Australia’s net zero pathway. “This isn’t theoretical – HAMR Energy, a leader in low carbon liquid fuel is already advancing, with commercial outcomes only a few years away and with the potential for South Australia to host their first facility,” Mr Paine said. “Bioenergy is a low-carbon liquid fuel source that can both drive a net-zero economy and reduce the nation’s reliance on imported fuels, with the forestry sector already leading by example through investments in renewable energy and wood-waste utilisation.” South Australian-based company OneFortyOne is a clear example of the sector’s leadership in decarbonising the sector. As the operator of Australia’s largest sawmill, OneFortyOne use an alternative renewable biomass to power its operations, showcasing just how diverse the forestry sector is when it comes to decarbonisation. “As South Australia’s forest industries celebrate its 150th anniversary, our forest industries continue to supply the essential, foundational fibre that keeps the economy moving and homes being built,” Mr Paine said. “We’re not just a key part of achieving our net zero ambitions but we’re also a practical part of decarbonising South Australia’s energy and fuel systems.” The Federal Government’s package is designed to strengthen Australia’s energy security and position the nation as a global leader in sustainable fuels. According to Bioenergy Australia’s Securing Our Fuel Future report, even with electrification, Australia will require 30 billion litres of liquid fuel annually by 2050. Without local production, more than 80% of this demand would need to be imported. According to independent analysis produced by Deloitte for BioEnergy Australia as well as the CEFC has shown that a mature renewable fuel industry could: Generate $36 billion in economic activity by 2050. Reduce emissions by 230 million tonnes. Create more than 26,000 jobs, many in regional Australia.   “South Australia’s forest industries are actively driving innovation and exploring new investments in renewable power, biomass technologies and clean fuels. “With the right policy settings, our sector can be at the heart of a new South Australian and national fuel industry, transforming residues into solutions that cut emissions, boost energy security and create jobs across the state,” Mr Paine said.

The post SA will lead the charge to a low-carbon fuel future appeared first on Timberbiz.

Macquarie Point stadium scrapped

Australian timber industry news - Mi, 17/09/2025 - 02:56

Plans for a multi-purpose $715-million sports stadium at Hobart’s Macquarie Point which would have featured the largest timber roofed stadium in the world appear to have been scrapped. Source: Timberbiz A panel set up by the Tasmanian Planning Commission on Wednesday morning recommended parliament reject the $1bn-plus project, concluding: “The benefits are outweighed by the disbenefits …The Panel recommends that the project should not proceed”. Construction of the venue is a condition of Tasmania’s licence for AFL and AFLW entry in 2028. “The panel has concluded that the benefits are outweighed by the disbenefits,” the report said. “Proceeding with the project will give rise to irrevocable and unacceptable adverse impacts on Hobart’s spatial and landscape character, urban form and historic cultural heritage,” it says. “In addition, the project represents a significant net cost and will diminish the economic welfare of Tasmanians as a whole, and it offers almost no scope for the site to become a vibrant active place that is attractive to visit outside of major event mode. “In very simple terms, the stadium is too big for the site and the benefits it will bring are significantly outweighed by the disbenefits it creates. “The panel’s cost benefit analysis shows that the construction and operation of the stadium results in a substantial net social cost to the Tasmanian community. Among the other findings: The size, shape and location of the site is ill-suited to a building like the stadium – a singular, large, bulky monolith which will overwhelm those surrounding buildings and the setting. Proceeding with the project will give rise to irrevocable and unacceptable adverse impacts on Hobart’s spatial and landscape character, urban form and historic cultural heritage. The panel has concluded that the adverse effects are unacceptable. The project will not be a ‘fair’ development in that it (principally parts and features of the stadium) will extensively and irreparably damage the historic cultural heritage of the heritage listed buildings in Hunter Street and the Engineers building, and most particularly, the Cenotaph. The project represents a significant net cost and will diminish the economic welfare of Tasmanians as a whole, and it offers almost no scope for the site to become a vibrant active place that is attractive to visit outside of major event mode.   The concept designs were completed just eight weeks after Australian firm Cox Architecture, which has been involved in Australia’s last four major oval stadiums including Perth Stadium and the redeveloped Adelaide Oval, was awarded the $37.9m contract as the lead architect in early May. The fixed, dome-shaped roof was an important part of the design. “The transparent roof, which is supported by an internal steel and timber frame, provides an opportunity to showcase Tasmanian timber,” Tasmania’s Sport and Events Minister Nic Street said when the plans were released.

The post Macquarie Point stadium scrapped appeared first on Timberbiz.

Seiten

Subscribe to ForestIndustries.EU Aggregator


by Dr. Radut